J. C. Penney Company
510,- 516 Main
The J.C. Penney building, built in 1928 at 510 Main Street, had hardwood floors and a modern restroom for its female clientele on the balcony level. Penny’s took over 512 Main where an office for Wells Fargo Express Company and Dall DeWeese real estate, insurance and loans had operated in 1929. Expansion for much more floor space came in 1962 and 514 Main, the Hemmerle Building, and 516 Main, a saddle and harness shop and Western Union were demolished. Penney’s operated until 1992 when it closed, having served
the community for 65 years. Emmerson Furniture occupied the building from December, 1992 until it closed in 2014.