Maupin Building/Post Office Block
113-123 N. 5th Street
Joseph Hickam Maupin hired architect George W. Roe from Pueblo to design this two-story building with a flat asphalt roof and overhanging cornice with modillions and molding. The first story has metal lintel decorated with rosettes; east façade has nine windows on the upper story; west wall has multiple rooftop chimneys with stone caps. An angled corner has “Maupin” inscribed at frieze level and a stepped parapet inscribed with “Post Office Block.”
Maupin built the southern portion of the brick and stone commercial building in 1903. A prominent, well-respected trial lawyer, he was active in the Democratic Party. Maupin served as Mayor of Cañon City in 1888 and 1889 and was Colorado’s Attorney General from 1890-1892. He and his wife, the former Lily McClure, had no children.
Constructed on the site of the old Episcopal Church, the building had three stores on the ground floor and five suites of four rooms each on the second floor. It had electricity, gas and was heated with hot water. Called “The Clipper Block” because the Clipper Printing Company was located there, the first story also held a tailor shop and the power company.
In 1906 construction began of a northern extension along Fifth Street to the corner of Macon, then west on Macon with the main entrance at the corner of 5th and Macon. The Post Office moved into its new quarters in 1907 and remained there until 1931. The upstairs rooms were known as the “Post Office Apartments.”
In 1997 Bill and Becky Lowe spent an estimated $100,000 remodeling the Maupin Building. They found that the building had been constructed with four layers of brick so it was very quiet inside. In honor of General Maupin, the Lowes placed a plaque at the entrance to the second-floor apartments with his picture and a brief history of his accomplishments.